The functioning of Animal Husbandry can be classified into 7 groups.
About 6000 Artificial Inseminations are done in a month in 98 Veterinary Hospitals. According to 1996 census the Cross Breed cattles were below 50% but in 2000 census there was an increase of about 90% shows an improvement in artificial insemination in the cattle production.
The treatment of animals are made available through the 98 Veterinary hospitals in the district. The farmers are making maximum use of the modern facilities in the Veterinary hospitals (including lab facilities). Since the required medicines are made available in every hospitals, the cost of treatment has considerably decreased. Even the facilities for urgent surgeries are made in every Veterinary Hospitals.
Remedial measures for resisting diseases
In Kerala the major epidemic diseases found in cattles are foot & Mouth diseases, Rinderpest & Anthrax. To resist these diseases regular prophilatic vaccinations are done freely in veterinary Hospitals & Sub-centres. Vaccinations are also done for rabbies and Anthrax which are infected from animals to human beings.
Many wide and variety of schemes are developed with the help of local self Govt. Institutions (Panchayats) in the field of Animal Husbandry. The important schemes given below.
- S.L.B.P Scheme
- With the Co-operation of local self Govt. the scheme for the development of permanent buildings for the Veterinary Hospitals are made.
- The scheme for the distribution of breed of improved cattles, milking goats, poultries & ducks to the farmers are establishing and executing.
- Various schemes are implemented for the improvement of treatment facilities and diagnosis in the Veterinary hospitals.
- For widening and making effective the animal treatment facilities the ‘Go-Raksha’ camp and sterility and infertility camps are conducted in every Panchayats.
- Various insurance schemes are provided for the cattles. Kamadhenu insurance scheme are to be particularly specified as they provide safety for the farmers looking after the cattles and their domestic animals.
- Various schemes for the eradication of rabbies are conducted widely.
- Education Extension work.
- As a part of state level activities cattle census are collected and published in every 5 years.
- Farmers are provided with good quality seeds and proper aid is given to construct exhibition plots.
District Poultry Farm (Athavanad) : Here the hatchery of eggs are done and look after them scientifically & distributed to the other centres.
Regional Artificial Insemination Centre
In order to conduct intensive cattle development programme there are 72 Sub-centres in Malappuram District under this institution. Here the Artificial Insemination and First-Aid treatment are available.