Principal agricultural officer,
Principal agricultural office,
B3-Block, Civil station
Malappuram – 676 505
Phone Number : 0483 2734916
- Formulation and implementation of schemes to increase the production and productivity of crops in the State.
- Implement agricultural extension programmes in order to propagate advance technologies and thereby bring about a paradigm shift in the agricultural sector.
- Production and distribution of quality planting materials.
- Timely implementation of agricultural programmes to ensure farmers welfare.
- Adopt all legal procedures to ensure the quality of planting materials.
- Ensure adequate marketing facilities and farm mechanisation programmes.
- Implementation of all State and Central Sector Schemes.
- Plan and implement location specific programmes through LSGIs
- Encourage the use of farm machinery and thereby reduce the production cost in the farming sector.
- Impart training and extension in the farmers’ fields to enable them to adopt scientific agricultural practices.
- Impart training to farmers on new agricultural production technologies.
- Create awareness among farmer community on programmes and schemes of the agricultural department through media.
- Layout of demonstration plots and impart trainings on improved agricultural practices.
- Production & distribution of high yielding varieties through approved nurseries, tissue culture labs of the department of agriculture.
- Formulate and implement crop insurance programme.
- Draw and analyse samples of seeds, fertilizers and plant protection chemicals in order to ensure their quality.
- Improve marketing facilities and implement market intervention programmes for farmer welfare.
- Issue certificates for organic produces.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collect, analyse and make available soil health cards of samples within 30 days.
- Analyse and provide soil test data to farmers within 3 days on samples received directly at district soil testing laboratories. Analyse and provide soil test data on a campaign mode at Krishi Bhavan level for soil samples through Mobile Soil Testing Laboratories.
- Ensure availability of farm workers and agricultural machinery on rates fixed by respective LSGIs
- Timely and proper implementation of crop insurance schemes and to provide assistance under natural calamities.
- Impart training and ensure availability of quality planting materials/inputs for scientific agricultural practices.
- Distribution of quality seeds/seedlings/inputs on subsidised rate.
- Provision of certificates for electric connection and free electricity for eligible farmers.
- Provide assistance under State Sector /LSGI Schemes to all eligible farmers.
- Issuing licence for manufacture and distribution of fertilizer mixtures, organic fertilizers and ensure retail and wholesale distribution of plant protection chemicals.
- Increase the awareness and the reach of Keralakarshakan magazine.
- Quality analysis of seeds and seedlings
- Production and distribution of biocontrol agents.
Select outstanding farmers and honour them with awards like Karshakothama, Nelkathir,Yuvakarshakan, Yuvakarshaka, Kerakesari, Haritha Mithra, UdyanaSreshta, karshakaJyothi, karshakaThilakam, ShramaSakthi, karshaka Mithra, Harithakeerthi, karshakaRatna etc.